- Kutaisi (Georgia) option: our Georgian guide will meet you either in the arrival hall of Kutaisi International Airport or at your hotel of choice in downtown Kutaisi; transfer to the Georgian-Abkhazian border at Inguri; border crossing (on foot and on your own); our Abkhazian guide will collect you on the other side of the border and take care of your transfer to Sukhumi.
- Sochi (Russia) option: our Abkhazian guide will meet you either in the arrival hall of Sochi International Airport or at your hotel of choice in Sochi downtown; transfer to the Russian-Abkhazian border at Psou; border crossing by car (our guide will cross with you); transfer to Sukhumi.
- Independent option (-250 € discount): you will reach the Abkhazian border on your own (either Psou or Inguri); our Abkhazian guide will collect you on the Abkhazian side of the border and take care of your transfer to Sukhumi.
- Introductory briefing about the region, the route and the set of rules to observe while travelling in Abkhazia.
- Afternoon stroll along the esplanade.
- Dinner and overnight in Sukumi.
DAY 2 – Western Abkhazia
- We’ll spend the entire day going truly off the beaten path in Western Abkhazia.
- After a quick photo stop at the geothermal hot springs of Kyndyg, we’ll head down to the sleepy Soviet towns of Ochamchira, where cows roam free among the war torn Stalinist buildings of the city centre, and Gali, a rough-and-ready border town notorious for the interethnic and political tensions between the Georgian-Mingrelian majority and the newly arrived Abkhaz settlers.
- We’ll then drive to Tkvarcheli, a captivating and eerie half-abandoned coal-mining Soviet town nestled in the green mountains of Southwestern Abkhazia.
- In the late afternoon we’ll head back to Sukhumi for some rest and a well-deserved lucullian dinner.
- Dinner and overnight in Sukhumi.
DAY 3 – Abkhazian Mountains
- We’ll start early in the morning and head up north to the fresh air and the magical atmosphere of the Abkhaz Mountains.
- We’ll travel along the scenic road running parallel to the Bzipi river and before lunch we’ll reach Ritsa, a deep-blue mountain lake surrounded by thick forests and subalpine meadows.
- For the athletic ones: challenging trek around the lake.
- For the lazier ones: easy hike in the woods.
- For the laziest: chill-out time with the locals (aka beer and shashliks on the lakeshore).
- You will also have the opportunity to visit Stalin’s favourite dacha and have tea served like a boss.
- Lunch, dinner and overnight with a Ritsa.
DAY 4 – Abkhazian Riviera
- A long day of sea, beach and sun: we’ll travel down to the coast, then up to the Russian border near Adler and then back south to Sukhumi.
- On the way we’ll break the journey several times for photo and food stops and to visit the ancient monastery of Novy Afon and the pleasant Soviet seaside towns of Gagra, Gaudata, Pitsunda and Mayak.
- Highlights of the day will include brutalist Soviet resorts, pristine pebble beaches, delicious seafood, melancholic marinas and some truly fancy dachas.
- Dinner and overnight in Sukhumi.
DAY 5 – Sukhumi
- We’ll entirely devote our final day to the exploration of Sukhumi.
- Sukhumi sightseeing tour: Stalinist palaces, Soviet-era promenades, war-torn buildings, botanical gardens, Soviet sanatoria, rickety piers and subtropical flavours.
- Traditional Abkhazian lunch.
- Monkeys and Beaches: after lunch we’ll drive to the hills to visit the Space Monkeys Sanctuary, a very peculiar place that harbors space-race-era apes and their descendants. We’ll then hit the beach for some quality time to be spent either trying to spot the surprisingly common Black Sea dolphins or just swimming and sunbathing like a lazy post-Soviet seal.
- You’ll also have the unique chance to discover Sukhumi’s alternative side by meeting with local artists, university students and underground musicians.
- Lunch, dinner and overnight in Sukhumi.
DAY 6 – Flight back home or transfer to further destinations
- After enjoying a last Abkhaz-style breakfast together we’ll take care of your transfer to the airport/train station of choice.
- For those flying out: we will arrange transfer to either Kutaisi International Airport or Sochi International Airport for your flight back home.
- For those wishing to take the train/bus to reach further destinations: we will arrange transport to the local train/bus station.
- End of the tour.