- In the morning you will meet your our guide in the lobby of the designated hotel (exact hotel address and meeting time will be communicated well in advance per email; private airport pickup and shuttle service available for a small additional fee).
- Introductory briefing about the region and the route.
- East Berlin Tour: Karl-Marx Avenue, Soviet Memorials in Treptow, (former) Lenin Square and Stasi headquarter in Lichtenberg, Communist Embassies in Mitte, Thälmann-Monument in Prenzlauer Berg and a plethora of Socialist architectures and communist monuments scattered all around the former capital of the German Democratic Republic.
- Traditional East-German lunch.
- In the afternoon we’ll visit the Soviet-German Museum of Karlshorst, located in the very villa where the capitulation of Third Reich was signed by Wilhelm Keitel in 1945.
- Dinner and overnight in East Berlin.
Day 2 – Wünsdorf-Waldstadt, Eisenhüttenstadt and Frankfurt an der Oder
- Morning visit to the abandoned Soviet Military Base in Wünsdorf-Waldstadt, where one of the last still standing Lenin statue in the country welcomes the rare visitors.
- We’ll then drive South to Eisenhüttenstadt, a quintessential GDR planned city with plenty of nostalgia and post-Socialist decay.
- After lunch transfer to Frankfurt an der Oder, a large town adjacent to the Polish border with a remarkably vast array of Socialist monuments dotting the archetypically GDR city centre.
- We’ll enjoy a short walking tour of the city centre and pop into the neighbouring town of Słubice for quick taste of Poland.
- Dinner and overnight in Frankfurt an der Oder.
Day 3 – Ostbrandenburg, Usedom and Greifswald
- We’ll spend the morning driving around the melancholic villages and towns of Ostbrandenburg, a region full of Soviet memorials and GDR nostalgia.
- We’ll then reach Usedom, a famous resort island during GDR times.
- After having toured the island and its many natural wonders and socialist landmarks we’ll head back to the mainland and travel to the lovely little town of Greifswald, a place where Prussian history and communist heritage blend together with a certain cosmopolitan atmosphere.
- Dinner and overnight in Greifswald.
Day 4 – Rügen, Schwerin and Wittenberge
- Early in the morning we’ll head to Rügen, a romantic Baltic island that used to be the top holiday destination for Germans both during the GDR and the III Reich.
- We’ll devote the entire morning touring the island and its melancholic heritage of semi-abandoned socialist and national-socialist buildings such as Hitler’s dream resort of Prora.
- After lunch we’ll head south to Schwerin, the capital of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and one of the only few places in Germany where you can still admire a Lenin Statue still standing defiantly against all odds.
- We’ll then reach reach the sleepy GDR-border-town of Wittenberge for the night.
- Dinner and overnight in Wittenberge.
Day 5 – Magdeburg, Halle Neustadt and Leipzig
- Early start and drive to Magdeburg and Halle Neustadt, two archetypical Socialist towns in Sachsen-Anhalt, to enjoy more GDR architectural gems such as the huge Plattenbau towering over the Ernst Reuter Boulevard.
- We’ll then drive to the nearby city of Leipzig, a major industrial and cultural centre of the former GDR and one of the most significant places in the whole history of Germany.
- We’ll enjoy an evening tour around this extremely interesting and highly educated East German town, that still today plays a leading role in the country’s academic panorama.
- Dinner and overnight in Leipzig.
Day 6 – Leipzig and Karl-Marx-Stadt
- In the morning we’ll have a quick tour around Leipzig and its socialist outskirts, before eventually heading to one of the most significant places of the whole GDR: Karl-Marx-Stadt, a nostalgic industrial town that homaged the philosophical father of modern communism with a giant statue dominating over the main square.
- After lunch we’ll head back to East Berlin crossing some truly melancholic Ostalgie-landscapes along the way.
- Dinner and overnight in East Berlin.
DAY 7 – Flight back home or transfer to further destinations
- After enjoying a last GDR-style breakfast together we’ll take care of your transfer to the airport/train station of choice.
- For those flying out: we will arrange transfer to any of the following transportation hubs in Berlin: Schönefeld International Airport, Tegel International Airport.
- For those wishing to take the train/bus to reach further destinations: we will arrange transport to the central train/bus station.
- End of the tour.