Visa information

Visa information for group travelers

Any tourist travelling to North Korea requires a North Korean visa. Contrary to popular belief, applying for, and issuing a visa to North Korea is not that difficult but rather just a formality. Tourism is actively supported by the government, which makes it quite easy for tourists to get a visa in comparison to many other travel destinations. Only journalists, South Korean and US citizens (who are forbidden to travel to North Korea by their home country) are excluded from receiving a North Korean visa.

How to get your North Korea visa

Your original passport is not required to complete the North Korean visa application process. After receiving your booking, only the completed visa form (download it here), a photo scan from the picture page of your passport, as well as a digital passport photo against white background is needed. You will receive your North Korea tourist visa at our obligatory pre-journey meeting in Beijing on the day before entering North Korea. Your visa will be on a separate slip of paper to be placed in your passport. Please note that the 50 euro visa fee is not included in the open group travel package you have booked. Payment of the visa fee is due during the meeting in Beijing when the visa is handed over.

Do I need a visa for China?

Travelers arriving in or departing from North Korea by train require a doubly-entry visa for the People’s Republic of China. It takes about one week to process that visa. We recommend you apply for your China visa approximately 5 to 6 weeks before your scheduled arrival in North Korea. Please visit for further information on visa applications.
Travelers arriving in or departing from North Korea by plane may take advantage of the 72-hour visa-free transit in Beijing as an alternative to applying for a visa. As of January 1st, 2013, this programme allows air passengers from 53 countries (including most European countries) to transit and stay for up to 72 hours (3 days) in Beijing without a visa. You only need to be in possession of a confirmed onward ticket to a third country. Your onward flight must be within 72 hours of your arrival in China. This programme applies exclusively to air passengers and requires the arrival and departure flight to be from Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK). You may of course leave the airport transit area and move freely within the administrative area of Beijing (an area roughly the size of Belgium, much larger than the city of Beijing itself).
Please note that we cannot accept any responsibility for the information provided. We recommend that our customers check the conditions directly here as changes to the programme may apply. You may also refer to the FAQ page of Beijing airport. Of course, you can also contact us directly via the contact formwith your questions about the 72-hour transit programme and the double-entry visa. However, it is the sole responsibility of each customer to ensure that they meet the requirements for entering China.